Sunday, April 3, 2011

The New Media University, According to Brian Solis

Hello once more!

Today, I'm continuing my journey of reviewing Brian Solis' book Engage. This time, I will be discussing chapters 6 through 12--that's quite a chunk, but I'll do my best to do it justice.

This section continues "The New Media University" portion of the book. Here, Solis writes about Social Media. In chapter 6, he writes about the importance of images, forums/groups, URL shorteners, etc. In further chapters, Solis goes into detail about Facebook pages, groups, and other useful social media tools such as microblogs (including Twitter).

One part of the section that really stuck out to me were Solis' "Tips for Twitter and Social Media for Socially Savvy Business". Here are some of the tips:

-Special offers
-Ordering
-Word of Mouth Marketing
-Conversation Marketing
-Customer Service
-Focus Groups
-Direct Sales
-Events

He goes on to discuss even more wonderful tips, but for the sake of time, I'm only going to mention these.

A final point I would like to bring up in this week's post is Social Media Optimization. Google has some great info about that here. It sounds fancy, but basically accounts for how someone gets noticed on the web. This is quite relevant to my life, at this time, because I host two PR blogs, and have a Twitter account. The problem? Only 12 followers...
In order to get noticed, I learned that I need to "optimize" my blogs. There are many ways of doing this. Here are some that I learned:

1. Choice of accurate keywords.- Both in your titles, headlines, as well as TAGS.
2. Use outside applications/websites, and think of all possible keywords for your subject.
3. Be specific.- talking about everything will get you nowhere.
4. Use other social media to spread awareness.- tell people via Facebook and Twitter!

Overall, these chapters were very helpful to me, even now as a student. I will definitely have to work on optimizing my blogs, so others outside the class find my posts and comment on them! How about you?

If you want some helpful tips on SEO, check out this video:


1 comment:

  1. Great find with the video, it definitely helps to better understand the material.

    ReplyDelete