Sunday, March 6, 2011

70% of Local Business Owners Are Using Facebook!

A recent study by MerchantCircle shows that 70 percent of local business owners are on Facebook. I was reading my PR Daily news feed when I found this compelling article. I know that Facebook is really popular nowadays, so I expected the number to by high. I was a little sad to find that only about 40 percent use Twitter. I honestly expected that number to be a bit higher.

According to Merchant Circle, “Facebook has now surpassed Google (66 percent) as the most widely used marketing method among local merchants, and is almost tied with Google search (40 percent) as one of their top three most effective marketing methods, with 37 percent rating Facebook as one of their most effective tools.”

This truly shows just how much social media is being used in businesses today. With tools like Facebook Pages, which were actually recently updated to be even more user-friendly, both local business as well as large corporations can benefit from online exposure. This is useful information for everyone, even a PR student like me. In classes I am learning about how to utilize social media to benefit my future career. With this information, I will have a competitive edge. What many students do not realize is that older adults in the field are not nearly (if at all) knowledgeable in social media. Being aware of it, and how to use it will really benefit my generation of PR and business professionals.

Keep that in mind, folks!

-V

Here is the chart created from the survey I mentioned:

1 comment:

  1. This is very true. My dad owns a business and is asking me all the time about Facebook and Twitter. His company made a Facebook but he was talking to me about maybe doing a conference or a conference invite using Twitter. I would think more businesses use Twitter since it is a bit more sophisticated, while Facebook seems to be for young college students. Good statistics in your post!

    ReplyDelete